More about Audio
Contemporary Research has designed niche audio products that offer controlled audio enhancement and new innovations in sound masking.
About SMG-40 Sound Masking Generator and Amp
The Contemporary Research SMG-40 Sound Masking Generator has the power to drive over 30 25V plenum and ceiling speakers, 70V transformer, 4/8 ohm speakers, and over 100 Cambridge Qt® Emitters.
The SMG-40 Sound Masking Generator Keeps Office Conversations Private
Acoustic tiles, carpeting, and fabric-covered cubicles have helped to make the modern office a quiet place to work. But the lack of noise has the unintended effect of making even the smallest sound seem loud by comparison, distracting from the task at hand.
Related Equipment & Software
Full Description & Specifications
The Contemporary Research SMG-40 Sound Masking Generator has the power to drive over 30 25V plenum and ceiling speakers, 70V transformer, 4/8 ohm speakers, and over 100 Cambridge Qt® Emitters. Many masking generators use standard pink noise while the SMG-40 filtered noise is optimized for masking speech in real-world applications.
Housed in a compact metal enclosure, the amplifier can output 40W audio over two RJ-45 ports and a 3-pin Phoenix terminal for 25V, or 4/8 Ohm speakers and 70v transformer. A stereo Music input and level control is available for BGM applications. A contact closure input can mute the amplifier when activated.
- Employs pink noise optimized for speech privacy with bass, treble and level adjustment
- Supports 3.5mm stereo Music input with independent level control
- Drives speakers at 40 W RMS
- Dual RJ-45 outputs for Cambridge Qt Emitters
- Provides 3-pin captive-screw terminal for 25V and 4/8 Ohm speakers or 8 Ohm/70V transformer
- Includes closure input to mute amplifier
- Metal enclosure with flanges for surface mounting
- Made in America
- Dimensions: 5.5” [140mm] W (6.46” [168mm] inc. flange) x 2.375” [60mm] H x 3.875” [98mm] D
- Weight: 1 lbs [454g]
- Enclosure: All aluminum with durable black powder coat paint, flanges for surface mounting
- Amplifier: 40W RMS Class D, highly energy-efficient, operates with very little heat
- Masking Filter: Pink noise optimized for speech privacy
- Power: Green LED
- Masking: Masking level, Bass level, Treble level control
- Music: Level control
- Power: 2-pin Phoenix connector, 24 VDC, 2A max
- Music: Stereo line-level 3.5 mm jack, unbalanced, 7.5K ohms impedance, summed to mono
- Audio Mute: 2-pin Phoenix connector, closure mutes amplifier output
- Audio Output: Two RJ-45 Cat5 cable output for Cambridge Qt Emitters
- Three-pin Phoenix connector for Com (GND), 25V, and 4/8 Ohms
- 5406-001, PS24-2.5 Power Supply
- Metal Enclosure with Surface Mounting Flanges